This has been a challenging and interesting painting for sure.
Step one was a rough sketch of all the figures and the poses they would be in. I had to name everyone at this point too because it was getting really hard to remember who was who. Once I was sure I could actually fit everyone in I moved on to the next step.
Step two involved blocking everyone in quite roughly, but getting the colours/forms accurate. This was the hardest stage but also one of the most fun ones.
At this stage I went in and painted everyone properly, adding details to the faces and fixing anything I missed previously. I began thinking a lot more about the composition and relation between everyone here.
The final step involved finishing up the characters by adding in some extra shadows, cleaning up some faces and all the minor stuff, but also doing the foreground and background which added immensely to the overall painting. Final image below:
This was the first time I'd done this sort of painting before, so the process was a bit experimental but it worked out well.